USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park celebrates 75 years of Military history on the edge of Mobile Bay. Saved from the scrapyard by the USS Alabama Battleship Commission and donations from the lunch money of Alabama school children, the USS Alabama (BB-60) South Dakota-class Battleship can now be viewed, walked over and climbed upon in all her restored glory. They even hold sleepovers for children’s groups.
Alongside the Battleship is the USS Drum (SS-228) Gato-class submarine beautifully preserved she is the oldest American submarine on public display, as well as:
- A replica of the Confederate submarine CSS H. L. Hunley, the first combat submarine to sink a warship and built in Mobile;
- A fully stocked aircraft pavilion containing amongst others a P-51D Mustang, F-86L Sabre, F9F-5P Panther, F-4C Phantom, F-105B-IRE Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, MiG 17 A Fresco, B-52D Stratofortress, A-12 Blackbird (CIA), F15A Eagle, F/A-18 Hornet (Snake 407), F-14 A+ Tomcat;
- Iconic tanks from various wars including a M-26 Pershing tank, M-4 Sherman, M-48A 1 Patton, M-60A 1 tank, and a T-55 Russian/Iraqi tank from Desert Storm.
- Artillery pieces including the M42A 1 Duster, 5” 38 caliber gun mounts, M1A1 120mm Skysweeper, a 155 mm Field Piece, and armored personnel carriers.
- Additional vessels include a Coast Guard 26 foot Motor Surf Launch and 41 foot Utility Boat –Large (UTB), as well as a Vietnam-era River Patrol Boat (PBR).
- Memorials honoring the men and women who fought in all of our modern wars.
- And so much more.
This will be an experience your family remembers for a long time.